Monday, July 14, 2008

Bodega adventure

I thought I could make banana shakes with my juiced bananas (see below), so I told Becca about it and thought I'd go get ice cream. But...you can't really get containers of ice cream close to our house.
So I went on an adventure: I drove in Fresnillo all by myself for the first time!!

This is quite an adventure, and I think, an accomplishment. I backed the red van, named Setron after its donor, out of its tight little parking spot. But first I remembered to release the parking brake. Most of the roads are one way, so I couldn't go and come back the same way. This took much power of remembrance. I turned onto Juarez, down Mina. Through streets that originally, 450 years ago, were cart trails meandering through houses. They jog around and I have yet to find a street that actually continues straight throughout the length of the city. There was no city-planning grid laid out with Fresnillo was built, I'll tell you what. The roads are one way because they'd never be wide enough for two cars to pass along together (not that that really keeps people from trying - at one point a car started to turn right into me. I kept driving and they backed up. That's right.)
I remembered things about the road as I went along. Here's where we pay our water bill. Here's the really nice bread shop that used to be called the Most Holy Trinity (La Trinidad Santisimo) and is now called Don Jimmy's cause the owner, after many years, decided he wanted it named after him. I took the road to Plateros and turned into Bodega, where I could buy the ice cream, noticing the rounding moon hanging in the sky.

Not only did I buy ice cream and Nutella, but I also put minutes on my Mexican cell phone while I was in the store! Of course, the clerk had me write out my number instead of telling her. I wonder if she does that for all the customers or for only the ones that have the potential for not speaking Spanish.

Back at the Patio (what we call our house) I mixed up milk and ice cream and banana mush. I threw some pecans in there for extra measure and some chocolate powder.
It was wonderful. Sublime. I don't even like banana-flavored things. Such delicate flavorings, nicely mixed.

So that was my adventure on my day off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Karen! - Doris