During the day in North Dakota I can easily tell which direction I am facing. I know the path of the sun and can reorient myself using its movements.
Here, in Fresnillo, finding my direction during the day is a difficult process. It was especially difficult yesterday, around noon. It was June 20, the summer solstice, when the earth's revolution brings the sun's apparent motion farthest northward. Fresnillo is just on the Tropic of Cancer, 23° N Latitude. On the summer solstice at noon, the sun appears right overhead: there are no shadows, and judging from the sun, you can be pointed any way you want. The sun isn't going to give you any clues.
During the night I can find the stars that point me northward and westward; nocturnally orienting myself for the next high noon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
When I was in Oregon we had a lot of cloudy days and I oriented myself most of the time by where the ocean was--to the west. (My friend from high school, Shirley said she did that, too, so that when she moved to the east coast she would get confused because the ocean was now to her east.) When I moved here, to the middle of the continent, about as far from the ocean as you can get, it took a little getting used to, but I still find myself orienting myself by which way the ocean is, and to me the ocean still like it is to the west. I love you, and happy birthday. Love, Mom
Correction on the next to last sentence--still FEELS like. Love again, Mom
Post a Comment