Wednesday, October 28, 2009

¡Lo siento!

On my club visit this evening, I played Sorry! (translated: ¡Lo siento!) with four children, one of them - Nelson - being what would be termed in the US "special needs."

To start out, I gave each of us three pieces, instead of the normal four. I've learned a few tricks in my time here, and one of them is that sometimes you don't really need to go by the strict rules.

As the game went on, and Nelson grabbed board pieces and turned over all the cards and laid his head down in the middle of the board, I realized things could get messy. I didn't want the game to go on too long so that the other kids got frustrated, so after it had degenerated to the point that I completely stopped my and Nelson's turn, I said "did I tell you what the point of the game was? Well, the first person to get one of their pieces in their "home" wins!" A couple turns later, two of the boys were within spaces of this goal. I wasn't sad when the game was over.

Not all of my visits are that crazy. And something about Nelson tugs at my heart. I wish that I had had more time to talk with their mom. They got involved in club through Torta this past summer and Nelson and his cousin Gabriela are in my club class.

Well, the pizza is done, so I'm going to go eat with my roommates.

No comments: