Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween

Most kids dress up as skeletons or vampires. Witches, ghosts, monsters of various types. They start walking around a few days before the 31st, asking for a "muertito" or a "little dead one." They mean candy. Up to a week before and after Halloween, children go to school, walk around the neighborhood, dressed as little fiends.

Sometimes I see a bride, but she's usually Frankenstein's or Chucky's bride; fake blood dirtying the dress, wan face with painted scars.

Dark eyes. Black makeup thick around the eye sockets.

Even the littlest children, dressed as plump pumpkins with leggings have the dark eyes looking out of a listless face.

I felt this year that there was so little variety or creativity in the Halloween costumes I saw. But perhaps the idea is to dress up in theme with "Día de los Muertos" (day of the dead) instead of coming up with an original or entertaining costume - often having nothing to do with Underworld themes - which was the custom where I grew up.

Frankly, it's kind of depressing, I think. Even the next day, when their faces have been washed, many children still have a pale, sickly tint to their faces where the makeup didn't come off completely. I ask them if they are feeling alright and they say of course - it's just the makeup.

No comments: