Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Get off the grass!



On Monday I went to Zacatecas with my friend Paola. We wandered around the center, went to her house and ordered pizza, and then relaxed in a park. In general, there isn't much grass in Zacatecas because of the arid climate, but this park was well-watered and quite beautiful. I wanted to take some pictures in an off-limits area and Paola rightly scolded me. I was joking about how we could climb over the fence and how the off-limits sign didn't really matter. "You wouldn't do that in your own country! Sometimes people disobey the rules in Mexico because they think it doesn't matter, but it does." 

I appreciated her respect for her country and the reminder that I too need to respect the rules here. Vices such as ethnocentrism come through subtly when we make jokes about how much something costs in "real money" as opposed to pesos. Or when we disobey traffic signs because they aren't as enforced as in the United States. I was reminded again that I am visitor here, a guest, and I need to be humble in my demeanor. 

2 comments:

Roberto said...

I do enjoy reading your Blog, Congrats on your year with CFCI.
I have been trying to speak correct Spanish since I married my wife who is Uruapan Michocan. Even after 9 yrs of marriage I am still fustrated on my inability to communicate what I wish to say to her in Spanish, with out resorting to Spanglish
Always in my prayers,
Roberto

Roberto said...

I meant to post my original comment on your previuos post, about your fustration with Spanish. Forgive me
Roberto