Saturday, June 13, 2009

Anniversary

Today is my one year anniversary here in Mexico. I arrived a year ago, I think around 9:30 at night. I was pretty tired but incredibly excited to be in Mexico. I was reading in my journal some my goals for this past year and it was encouraging to see how God has really taught me a lot of stuff. 

One of my goals was to let God transform my life. Always a process, I still have grown so much this year. I have grown in trusting God, in believing who he is and that what he says is true. 

Another goal was to learn Spanish and the culture well. This has been a continual frustration. I make little mistakes - wrong endings (o or a, especially) all the time. I really have learned  a lot, though, and a couple of days ago my co-worker Juan was telling me not to get so down on myself for not speaking well, because then I do even worse. I should just keep going ahead, correcting myself, but focusing on what I'm trying to say. 

Another goal was to see the Butterfly fields. This did not work out this past year, but I have high expectations for the coming year!

This next year, I want to deepen and expand my relationships in the church, visit more families. I want to drink less Coca-Cola and finish the early morning Navigators Bible Study (I'm in the middle of the second level; there are three levels). I want to write more update emails and call my grandpa more often.  I want God to continue to transform my life and I want to see fruit of trusting in him. 

Those are just some of my goals. 

me with some club girls, hanging out and having fun

2 comments:

Felicia Cooper said...

Karen!! It was soo encouraging to read your goals. You've made me consider setting some goals for myself :)

Can't wait to meet you in person,
Felicia

Unknown said...

Hi Karen, This is Keith Buckbee.
Just wanted to drop you a line to let you know that I am still praying daily for you. I have a friend from church who just start a 2 year mission in Popalote Norte Mexico. Her name is Mandy Rogers, I am praying for her as well. We have commited to support her also.

We are planning to continue to send support for your mission too.

I do Hope that we will be able to meet you some day in person.

Keep on growing in the Lord.

Love

Keith