Any other visual learners out there? Someone tells me a Spanish word and I repeat it a couple of times before I pronounce it correctly and then a few minutes later I'm asking again. But show me a word, write it down, let me see how it's spelled and allow me to connect it with other related words, and I have a pretty high retention rate.
When I first arrived, I liked singing the songs at church a lot because I could see the words. They're on overheads and I can focus on the words. A really neat experience, like a veil being removed, would happen often when I had sang a song several times without really understanding it, and then all of a sudden things click and I realize the truth and the reality of the syllables I'm pronouncing. They're not just words, they're a picture, a story, a truth, and I can suddenly see it.
My pastor here says that I'm mediating on the songs - focusing hard on what the words are and what they mean. If I don't want to pay attention it's kind of easy to tune out, but the benefits and the joys (sometimes I've just burst into a grin upon realization of what I've been singing) are worth the effort.
David and Juan keep volunteering me to do things like play guitar and pray. David says it's for me to practice my spanish.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Karen,
How are you doing? Its always great to read your posts. I haven't been on your site for about a month so it was fun catching up with what you are doing. I am praying for you!
Mikaela
Post a Comment