Monday, September 14, 2009

visit visit visit

At times, the invitations seem to pile on each other.

"we're grilling today, come over!"

"we're going to have a lunch at my house to celebrate my daughter's baptism!"

"why haven't you come over? it's been so long!"

I really like being invited over, but when they all come at you on the same day; I can't really handle that.

Usually, if I have already promised someone that I would go visit them, I use that as an excuse and only attend one thing. But sometimes I'm just feeling tired and want to go home and rest but don't have a great excuse. That's when I get really stressed out.

Sometimes I still go, and just get exhausted. Other times I decide that I'm tired enough and don't show up. But then I hear my friends talking about it, or I see someone at the market and they ask me why I didn't go.

Then I feel lousy.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Karen! It's Emily Goldberg! I've been reading your blog and I love it- it's great to hear what you're doing and it's also been really encouraging to me in my time in Bolivia, I can identify with a lot of your struggles (and joys!). So thanks for posting! You're great!

About this post... wow, I can totally relate. I know for introverts especially (although really for everyone!) time alone is necessary to function well!!! Are there any times of day you can designate to definitely be alone before a full day of visits?

It's definitely been a challenge for me too, feeling so drained by many things but also wanting to be culturally sensitive and not wanting to waste my time here... sigh... if we would ever learn how to balance it! I'm continually learning we have to just give our little loaves and fish that we have to the Lord and He will multiply into what they need to do :-)

Love to you, friend! Praying for you and thank you for the encouragement that you are, seriously.