Yesterday was a hard day.
Elizabeth and I went to the Market to buy stuff for the Torta. Somehow I lost the purse, which included both Torta money and personal money. It was a hard blow, especially as I knew, running around the store, looking for my purse with tears forming in my eyes, that I choosing, in that moment, not to trust in Jesus. I was letting myself become overwhelmed by the financial loss.
When we got to the church to unload the groceries, we heard a big boom. Occasionally the Catholic churches will send off booming fireworks to celebrate a certain holy day, but this was different. Later we heard gunfire, rapid gunfire, and heavy smoke could be seen from a building four blocks away from the church. Our pastor, Doug, called us together and said that the Mexican military had started an offensive against a drug cartel that had taken a foothold in Fresnillo. They had blown up a Hummer that had been loaded with armaments.
The streets were absolutely deserted. The ladies who were helping cook the Torta seemed quite nervous. Everything was quite for a while, but then more gunfire was heard and more big booms. At 12 o'clock, when we usually start setting up the church and prepare it for the coming of 250 children, we decided to cancel the Torta. We put the rolls and filling in bags and gave it to the ladies there and some of our neighbors. Then we all went home by a circuituous route.
In some ways, it felt like a snow day in elementary school, and unexcepted holiday that comes from a potentially dangerous situation. But yesterday it was potentially dangerous, it was dangerous, and scary. One of the oldest families from our church, Olga and Gerardo, lived just down the street from where things were happening.
I have trouble trusting God when I lose money (I didn't lose keys, identification, just money. Well, and a Keith Green dvd). I have trouble with the little things. Then my perspective was blown wide open with a situation concerning lives.
He says that he will be with us when we pass through the fires (not if). They will come, and he will be with us. He has called us by name. We belong to him. In life and death, we belong to him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Karen,
Know that I am praying for you, your safety as well as your growing of trust in God. You are not alone :)
Mikaela
Post a Comment