Saturday, October 4, 2008

Casa Hogar (which means, house home)

I had lunch the other day with my friend and co-worker Ruth. Ruth became a Christian through the kids' club years ago and today works as a club teacher and does a lot of stuff for the church as well. It was a pleasure to have lunch with her, as we had not only tasty food but a rich conversation. Ruth has a vision to open a children's home here in Fresnillo for orphans or children whose parents are in jail. Often if a mother is in jail the children will be as well. Ruth has worked in a nearby town in a children's home that gives the kids the opportunity to go to school, protection from happenings in the prison, and also provides support to the parents when they get out of jail. It was inspiring to hear her vision, as sometimes I struggle with seeing long-term plans in my life. It has also been inspiring to see the compassion she has for the kids we work with during the week.
(Ruth's the one laughing here)

One of the things that really gets me about the body of Christ is our diversity. Not only do Ruth and I speak different native tongues and have grown up in different cultures, but our visions and dreams are different. Yet here we are, for this time, working together in the same work. God has plans for all of his children, and sometimes these plans are different. But I have been richly blessed by the opportunity to be here, no matter for how long, and be a part of this work, even though it's different than work I've done in the past and work elsewhere in the world.

No comments: